Saturday, January 29, 2011

Love in Adaptions

I've just discovered the new BBC `Sherlock' which puts Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson in a modern setting.  I've only actually seen two episodes- the un-aired pilot, called A Study in Pink (A play on Holme's first case, A Study in Scarlet) and the episode The Great Game - but I was impressed.  The producers really cared about Sir. Arthur Connan Doyle's amazing consulting detective, and it showed.  They remembered that Watson is a young army doctor, discharged after he was wounded in battle -and that he carries his gun into dangerous cases.  Also, Sherlock isn't a celebrity until Watson starts writing about him.  

It got me thinking about another screen adaption of a series I love: namely The Chronicles of Narnia.    The producers could have left the background creatures as just that -background- but they chose, instead, to try and make their mythic creatures as `real' and detailed as possible.  I think my favorite moment in the movies is where the father Centaur helps his little girl straiten her sword.  The Centaurs are usually so stern and warlike, that seeing a soft family moment gives me the warm fuzzies in a big way.

Love and respect is evident all over BBC's Sherlock and the new Chronicles movies, and that love and respect makes it easy for the audience to love the movies too.  In writing, you hear a lot about the importance of getting details right.  I guess what it comes down to is respect.  If you respect the world you're creating it shines through, and that makes it easy for your audience to care too.

9 comments:

  1. I've never gotten around to Sherlock Holmes in any incarnation. I've heard good from other friends about this version, too. {Smile}

    I've loved Narnia from Childhood. I'm glad to see the movies are reasonably faithful, while still well-adapted to the pacing needs of film. I haven't seen the latest, tho. I've pretty much stopped going to theaters, so I'll just have to wait for the video. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the latest Chronicles either. I want to go with my family and we haven't been able to get our schedules to match. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scheduling can be tricky. I hope it works out before much longer. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do I. If it doesn't, though, I'll catch `Dawn Treader' on DVD. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, DVD usually works even when the theater doesn't. I'm so gald it does, too! {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something cozy about gathering around a nice couch to watch a movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that is cozy. It's also wonderful to be able to pause the movie when someone needs to step out for a moment. And I love having control over the lights. {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being able to pause is important. That way nobody misses anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, exactly. You don't want to miss the next part of the movie because you have to leave the room for a moment. {Smile}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete