Saturday, August 27, 2011

Storm Coming On

It's been a weird week, with hurricane warnings coming so close after the earthquake.  I guess this is one of those times I should be thankful I don't have oceanfront property?  The sky's been cloud-dark all day.  At 11:00 AM it was still as dark out as it had been at 7:00.  It's like the sun just decided not to bother today.  


We have battered down the hatches, so to speak.  We've filled several five-gallon buckets with water just in case the electric goes off.  People are speculating that we could be out of electric for a few days.  Or not at all.  You never know ahead of time.  That's the whole point behind preparation.  I guess I ought to dig my flashlight out of my suitcase so I'll be able to find it if everything suddenly goes black.  


I'm not actually too concerned.  we've had nasty storms before (one or two that sent us scurrying to the basement just in case) and the worst that's happened has been the occasional fallen tree.  My past experience has been `not that big a deal' so that's what I expect from the future.  Overconfident? Yep.  But I don't think people believe in a worst that could happen without some experience to draw on.  You can't fear what you can't wrap your head around.  That's a good thing.  Keeps us sane.


This is supposed to be a literary blog.  It somehow morphed into a writing blog, and now my last two posts have been about the weather.  (Well, if you count earthquakes as weather.)  What can I say?  Really interesting weather we've been having lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment